Use the live earthquake site from the USGS above...
Look down the earthquakes from the last 24 hours.
1. Where was the earthquake with the largest magnitude on the richter scale?
2. Can you work out what kind of plate boundary this is at and which plates are involved?
3. Use the diagram on the left to help describe what people in that location might have experienced.
4. Which earthquake focus was closest to the earth's surface? Why do you think this matters?
5. Why do you think the TIME and DISTANCE from land is important information about an earthquake?
Richter scale reading...